Friday, May 28, 2010

Team AllEars – How to Donate!


(Note: if you don't want to read the background story and just want the link to donate, scroll down to the "Here's how you can help" section.)

One of the main reasons I submitted my name to become a member of the 2011 Team AllEars group (background story here) was because I saw what the group did in 2010. If you look here, you can see that the inaugural group of teammates raised over $25,000 for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. "Why this charity" you ask? Well, I didn't really know this answer myself until I heard about Team AllEars on a podcast last year. I could write down why, but I'd rather let you read it from a 24-year survivor of breast cancer: Deb Wills. Please take a minute to read her story on her Avon Walk Donation page…even those Disney fans who read this blog may not know about this part of her life.


 

It seems that everyone knows someone who has been diagnosed. While my side of the family has been fortunate to not have any members diagnosed, my wife's family has had two separate diagnoses in the past few years alone. Luckily, both are in the "survivor" category. This, as we all know, is not always the outcome. For many, it has taken the lives of wives, mothers, sisters, daughters, aunts, cousins, friends…people known and loved.


 

To date, Deb has raised over $225,000 to aid in the fight against breast cancer, but she's not resting…her desire and determination to do what she can is just as strong as ever.


 

This is where Team AllEars comes in. While we, as individual members, benefit from the healthier lifestyle from the exercise and the camaraderie of helping each other in training and motivation, we also do this to help raise money for Deb and the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. As mentioned earlier, the 42-member team from last year successfully raised over $25,000. Since I'm on the 2011 team, of course I want to say that we raised far more than last year's team! When I signed up to be a part of the team, it was requested that we raise $500 each.


 

I want that to be my halfway point in donations.


 

It's a lofty goal…one that I know I may fall short of. I look at the various connections I have, though, and I think that achieving $1,000 is a definite possibility.


 


 

Here's how you can help:


Note - I have had several people say that they couldn't quite understand how to do the online donation.  If you are willing to donate and want to do the most simple method, feel free to just send me a check made out to the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, and I'll forward it for you.


Head over to THIS INSTRUCTION PAGE, which spells out how to do an online donation (remember that these donations are tax-deductible). If you follow along the instructions, you go to the donation page and enter the donation amount, followed by the billing info. The last section takes you to a place where you can personalize the donation. If you would to donate and want the donation to count towards my tally, just do as the example on the instruction page shows – in the "How would you like your name to appear" box, put "your name Team AllEars Chris Mushrush". Note that you can put "Anonymous Team AllEars Chris Mushrush" too if you prefer not to disclose your name.


 

If you would rather use a check for a donation, just follow the directions on the donation page and include a note that you are supporting me.  If you prefer to give the funds to me, I'll also accept checks and will send them all in a batch.


 

One thing I do ask – if you do donate, please let me know so I can acknowledge what you've done. I will be updating this post as donations come in with the names of those who have helped out (I'll include "anonymous" to protect your identity if you wish…just let know).


 


 With that…let the training continue (barring any injuries) and let the fundraising begin!!!


















.

No comments: